For the longest time I have had troubles falling asleep (and staying asleep) because I don’t like any lights on when I go to bed at night. I had tried to use an eye mask and it seemed to help, but my daughter broke it in about two days. To be fair, I bought it at the dollar store, was very flimsy and the stitching was pretty bad so I wasn’t that upset. It has taken me about 4 months to get my butt in gear and just make one from scraps. I gathered the materials, printed and cut out the pattern and set to work.
I used the Sweet Dreams Sleep Mask pattern from Bari J. It was an easy to use pattern, and the instructions were right on the printout that were easy to follow. The fabrics that I used actually worked pretty well together. I used fabric from my stash (yay!) of some pretty black and white fabric for the front and some dark blue minky for the inside. I had some white elastic that I bought from Joanns that I cut to about 14″ inches. I think it took me all of twenty minutes to actually make it, and that is from start to finish.
I felt pretty good about making something in twenty minutes that I had been putting off for several months, but the actual problem didn’t hit me until I tried the mask on. The blasted thing looked great, but it didn’t fit the way I imagined. The elastic was too tight for my liking, and the part of the fabric that goes over my nose (like the part of your glasses that sit on your nose) didn’t fit well at all. I don’t know if I have a nose that sticks out too much, or if I just don’t like things pushing down my nose, but it was awkward. I have since given it to my daughter to either play, and have made another eye mask. This one turned out much better! I made a larger cut out for my nose and I extended the elastic to 15″. Now it doesn’t feel like my eyes and nose have a ton of pressure on them. I can’t wait to try it out for real tonight. 🙂