When I first got Angela Walters’ Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) book I was REALLY inspired to give FMQ a shot. She made it seem so easy, and since I had taken a class last year on how to do it on my own machine at home I felt like it was time. What better quilt to try it out on than the Berenstain Bears quilt I’m making for my niece. It’s small enough where I can really do something interesting (hopefully) but not too big where it will be unmanageable.
Okay…here are the photos I took. Don’t laugh. I did a kind of daisy chain on the rows. I think it actually looks okay for my first time. There are, of course, some bad ones. But there are some good ones as well. It was a bit frustrating at parts. I ran out of the bobbin a few times so it made a few mistakes because you know how you get to the end and the thread kind of pulls, and it won’t let you move. All in all though, it was actually pretty fun. I turned on some Keane albums and just got to work. In my opinion, the music made a HUGE difference. It kind of sets the pace for your stitches. At some points I had to tell myself, okay self…slow down a bit and make your stitches smaller. Then after a point I started thinking I was one of those girls at Disneyland that stitches your name on the Mickey Mouse ears hats and I felt like I got into a groove. It took me probably an hour and a half to two hours to do the whole top. Not bad in my opinion. Now to do the binding! 🙂
Here are some close up shots of a better flower and a bad flower. HAHAHAHA